Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Yours truly – 3

What will anyone call a girl who is craving to take the head of a totally unknown boy on her breasts, as the tears keep rolling down the cheeks of that boy heartbreakingly? Shameless I guess. But at that point of time Sejal, twenty two springs old was already feeling that the organ on the left of her body was actually missing. Yes I am talking same organ that pumps blood into veins and always becomes a favorite target of a boy-god. But Vivek was such a person I just could not manage enough courage to do what I have contemplated. Instead I went off to canteen and bought two nice cups of tea and handed one over to Vivek. He took it without question, drank it and left the place even without thanking me, which any way I was not expecting.
People undergo lots of emotions when they are in love. But the only emotion that I was suffering from was anger at what was being done to Vivek. I could see through his eyes that he will never be able to trust a girl fully. Every time any one of the female students went to him to talk Vivek became strangely cold. All other times no one could have matched him with his ready wit and the sparkle of a pure soul. Vivek topped his class and after receiving an immense job offer to be a Brand Manager for Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati never looked back and took off for US. That was in 2002. After listening to his voice almost after 4 and half years I was not only excited but curious as well to know what Vad is doing nowadays and why should he need me at all!
I found him sitting at the corner table for two in the discreetly tucked away restaurant called Peter Cat. In front of him was a half drunk glass of an orange liquid. He seemed so much lost in thought that he did not even noticed me till I took my seat in front of him and wished him a god afternoon. “Oh! Hi Sejal, this place had not lost its charm at all. I can still smell the mouth-watering sizzlers being cooked somewhere.” He took a swig of his drink which by then I knew was screwdriver – a cocktail made from orange juice and vodka. Although clean shaven he was looking haggard in a way. Black spots were in the making under the eyes; his impeccable dressing sense was not quiet there as well. “So where you now and what are are you doing, dude, “I asked in a light tone. As if talking in a trance he replied “Well, I am still with Procter and Gamble.” “Currently I am visiting Indian metros in order to promote a fairness product for men.” “Good to know that now even men might feel to become fairer, isn’t it? I told in jest. He smiled. The same lop sided careless grin that made many a legs turn to jelly. Although captivated I knew that I have only an hour maximum to spare. “Tell me how come you remember me after so long a time?”. As soon as I uttered this sentence all signs of happiness seemed to drain out his face. Vivek replied “Sejal, do you and Manoshi only fight for women in distress?” I was taken aback by his question. It is true that most of the time we have found women at the receiving end of different types of mistreatments. Me and my colleagues have actually never been approached with anything different. So I replied “Yes. Currently we are only having the women as clients.” “But what happens if a man comes down to you with the same kind of problems – is there any policy in your organization restricting you from taking the case?” I admitted that actually I have not come across any such kind of biased policy. Manoshi was actually more of a counseling house to oversee that the social texture and composition of a country as vast and diverse as India remains strong. As society forms a strong base in the growth of a country. In fact that was what our mission statement says in gist. I looked at my watch and saw that I have only about half an hour left. “Vivek, Can you please state your problem?” May be I can try and help you out as a friend.” Vivek stared blankly for a few seconds as if trying to recollect something and then he started to talk. “Sejal, you know that after I got hold of a job with P&G I moved on to Cincinnati. This move was more of a kind of an escapist effort than anything else. I wanted to run away from anything and anyplace that reminded me of Chandreyi. And let me tell you after starting to work, I made sure that I work so hard that no such thoughts of betrayal can occupy my mind. After an year or more I was visiting New York City for a trade promotion conference on my company’s behalf. The conference sponsors kept us all in the Grand Hyatt. It was 8 PM in the evening of a bleak winter day; I received a call from the hotel reception that a lady wants to meet me. I was in my sleeping suit. Surprised, I just put on my pull over and went downstairs. One look at the lady and my heart skipped not one but all the beats. It was Chandreyi, and her sweetness now have come a matured beauty. She was dressed in a black top and skirt and looking younger but mature more than she ever had. All the blood must have drained out from my face. As the receptionist apologized profusely and told me that the way this lady insisted on meeting me, she had no option left other than to give me the buzz. Noticing the awkward situation and people looking at us curiously, I smiled wanly at Chandreyi and asked her to step into the coffee shop, which was more or less empty for residents were busy in the lunch room. I ordered and got two cups of coffee. While adding sugar and milk to mine I looked at her in anticipation. My mind was totally in a chaos. “Hi Vivek, how are you doing?” she asked softly. “Fine,” I said. And for the next two minutes almost we did not speak. Then she said that “Vivek, I am sorry for meeting you like this. I actually work in the ROSS store opposite to the convention center where I saw you by chance today. I know that after what I have done to you there is now way that I can ask for any forgiveness. But then the Almighty have also punished me like anything for my cruelty.” She stopped and tears started rolling down her cheeks silently. “
After stating till now, Vivek stopped as well. I asked him, “then what did you do?” he gave a wry smile and then said; “Chandreyi and Sourav after marriage came down to USA and had started living life happily. It was during the Christmas holidays in the year 2003, they went a camping tour to India. They were visiting the Himachal Pradesh in a place call Fagu. This was a place where they were taking skiing lessons as well. One fine morning Sourav complained of severe chest pain. He just could not even speak properly because of the pain. After taking him to the Military Command hospital he was diagnosed with acute pneumonia. And after fighting for life for about two days, he died. After this terrible mishap Chandreyi thought about staying back in India forever. But she needed to come back to USA for tying up few loose ends. And she also took up a part time job in a retail shop just to forget the emotional pain, when she saw me. Naturally I was very much moved by her story and told her to be in touch regarding any help she needed from me. From time to time I started visiting her in New York and within a month or two, I proposed to her and she accepted. We got married and settled down in Cincinnati. A very happy ending to what started off as a tragedy in my life, right?” Vivek looked at me intently.
From my experience in marital discords I can smell out that all was not hunky-dory even after the revival of long lost love. There was more to it or otherwise I would not be sitting in front of Vivek. To be very frank and honest the other Sejal in front of me was becoming restless right from the time Vivek brought upon the topic of that wretched girl. And when I heard that they were married, I was almost too eager to hear the adverb “unhappily” more than the other one. Moving my eyes from Vivek’s stare I rebuked myself inwardly. “What has happened to me? Just for my own sake I am actually wishing ill for Vivek, one person whom I will always remember dearly forever?” I took control over myself with some effort. Vivek had already started continuing. “First six months of our conjugal life was really a great experience for me. I almost forgot any unpleasant experience that I might have endured in the past. I almost thanked God for the opportunity that was given to me. Chandreyi now Chandra for me was the best life partner that I could have dreamt of having. One thing that I noticed but never paid any heed to was the way she used to spend money on costly things and services etc. I always used to think that to have a trophy wife like her one has to make these concessions. It was exactly about 6 months from our marriage I received a call from the manager of my bank asking for an immediate meeting. Sejal, I was not only surprised but also shattered to learn that not only Chandra had withdrawn large sums of money from our joint account; she had also deposited the money to another account at New York as well. I could have understood her spending more money. But depositing the same money to another account to which I have no access or knowledge of was really something strange. I took a leave from work and got hold of her at our house. “Look Viv, I did not do anything out of character. I have already suffered from the sudden death of my first hubby and hence wanted to make sure that my future is secure enough in the eventuality of your death”. I was stunned but still keeping my cool I asked her knowing very well that she will be already be covered by the insurance that I have taken on me, why did she look out for more insurance. And believe me Sejal her face and voice changed totally and then she said with a hiss “Viv I have known you since college days and have always counted you as a loser, hence I have the right to look after my well being at least”. In a fit of rage we separated and started spending life separately. In between I needed to come down to India on business. Even without my invitation she had tagged on and now she is staying in separate rooms in the same hotel providing her maiden name in the register. I am in such a mental turmoil that I can now understand that I have nowhere to go. In this world most of the marital discord rules are heavily biased towards women and in case of a divorce she might rinse me dry of money. And now currently I have another big fear as well. I am not sure why but I have this feeling that what happens if I face the same fate as her first husband had faced?”
I can never forget that the look in Vivek’s face. It was the not only the look of a person who had being cheated badly twice but also the look of a prisoner on a death row, who knows that there is no stopping the inevitable. “Vivek”, I said “Before commenting anything on this unhappy episode of your life, I would like to know how come you thought of coming to me and more so how did you find me?” “Sejal, you are not the first person I have shared my woes. I went off to visit my pal from engineering, Neel, the same guy you have also met during our MBA and currently he is working in the ITC building very near to your office. After listening to my story he was one who suggested that I should visit you. When I came to your office I was confused about which floor your office should be as Manoshi has three floors in the same building. So I waited and saw the only women chauffer among all the men. You can say that knowing you very well I took a chance and went and asked her whether that was your car. After getting no reply I went to the second floor reception and asked for your office number. The lady in the reception was helpful enough and gave me your home phone number as well. “Now that’s the Vivek we all know. Getting anything done using charm and intelligence is like his second nature”, I thought. “Why did not you come to my office?” I asked. “ because I am not a woman and I do not have any proof that I am right and lastly, I did not want any problems as my company is specific about these things, Vivek replied. “OK Vivek, how long you are staying here?” “Another three days maximum and I am off to Delhi.” “OK. Give me some time and your contact number as well. I need to hurry. I will get in touch with you soon. Do not worry and be brave”. The last lines were exactly the same ones that I have uttered about three years back to a weeping boy of 22 behind a college canteen.

1 comment:

Oirpus said...

So? where is the rest of it Or is it a short story?? Indranil keep writing ... this is a very good piece of work...