Friday, September 30, 2005

Eye of the Tiger - 3

( Continued from Eye of the Tiger - 2 post)
But I might say, when results came out, I was happy that I never believed in God. Coz God with his or her sick sense of humor made Deep stuck at an aggregate of 78%???? So when Deep and I were discussing the above posed question.. What Next? No answers came to us. Deep was told very politely by the company officials, in buttery language that, he should write a resignation letter now and if in future, any thing can be done for Deep, they would surely do it. I do not know how Deep would have reacted. But if I were him, I would have really cursed them for first ruining my future for some god forsaken rules, which cannot even account for a 2% deficit, and expressing the desire to help in future ( if there was one that is).
I was really worried of how to handle Deep when he came out of Infinite premises, after handling over his dog-tag and with a month salary deposited in his account. I was equally worried to see that Deep was so calm and even asked me out for dinner on his account. Come Babe!! Be my date today. He almost said with an air of certainty. I looked at his eyes straight thinking that he must have lost his mind. But his eyes were calm and there was no sign whatsoever in his eyes which showed any sense of anxiety, trauma etc. They were eyes of a person determined to prove what they think is right. I really find myself overwhelmed and now it was time for me to cry. We bade each other good bye next day, and Deep returned to his native village in Bihar. Before going, he told me the exact word that I wrote in the beginning. I never knew from where he got the mental courage and strength. But then, human mind is something of an enigma even to the most enlightened ones.
I never met him after that day. I kept on sending mails frequently on the mail id that he had given to me but never got a reply. Meanwhile, two years went thru. I left Pune and manage a transfer from my company to settle down in my place in Kolkata. Day before yesterday while having food at Mocambo in Park Street, I suddenly felt a gentle poke on my shoulders. It was Deep!! Smiling at me with the same calmness that I saw in his face when he boarded the Patna bound train. After initial revelry he introduced me to a petit good looking lady seating beside him, as his wife. It was the same girlfriend who used to call up on his cell on and off. I introduced him to mine. I never picked up the Pune episode during the whole one hour that I was with him. I came to know that Deep is leaving for US next week on business. When the short reunion was over, before going he winked and smiled at me, and then passed me off his visiting card. It read, Deep Prakash, consultant – UNIX, RHCP (God knows what that means) and the name of the company really took my breath away. It was Infinite!!! To my questioning looks he only smiled and said, I got my chances, I wasted some, but cashed on others. Although failure is never a pillar of success but it can surely used as a learning experience to know what are the ways, that are not to be followed to be successful. With my visiting card, and the promise of keeping in touch from now on, he left with his wife, leaving me totally dazed. (THE END)

1 comment:

Oirpus said...

It is strange that even today we have such incidents as you have described... Only the other day we had a discussion regrading this and I admit, it was a shock.

By the way, RHCP on a first read suggested "Red Hot Chilli Pepper", a popular joint with the TCSers but on reconsideration it would be Red Hat Certified Professional.