Monday, October 17, 2005

Foot in mouth

We all have our share of having a foot in our mouth… nothing like what I had a few days back and cannot stop feeling the way that I am till I share it with you all…

“Suvo Bijoya to you and your family”—this was what precisely started the whole thing. Being down with some horrible sickness in Dengue, I was left most of this pujo to contemplate the various possibilities that could have presented themselves this year. The new and expensive clothes, meant to be this year’s pujo-wear, which I had purchased for myself, lies in the cupboard. The plans for the Maddox Square adda all turned out to be mere illusion at the wake of this disaster that made my bed a stable companion throughout this pujo. Imagine my dismay when even a colleague commented “Sekire… ato maal tenechish je ogyan hoye chilish ….”, at the statement “Ebar pujote behunsh hoye chilaam…”. Actually I was referring my sorry state which he had totally failed to contemplate. So, when I started messaging everyone from my cell wishing them a “Suvo Bijoya”, little did I know what was in store for me.

I had been unfortunately associated with the most strangest and the most opportunist of all people I had known of. She was just a leech who happened to have landed as an acquaintance on me (why me of all people). It was some experience I wanted badly to forget. I even had to change my phone numbers to rid myself of the problem she seemed to have carried around with her as herself. I had met her on a Durga Pujo two years back and the first message I did to her was a “Suvo Bijoya”. So when I got the message “Suvo Bijoya to you and your family”— and that too from a number that seemed alien (I have no recollection of her number now … I had purposefully forgotten all about her … or have I?), I swung into action. Some deep down pride boiled up and I suddenly remembered her (lets call her ACKC). I was certain that, that message had surely come from Ackc.

I was almost jubilant… having spent most of my pujo confined within a mosquito net thinking of all such useless things like the futility of the pujo (don’t get me wrong…I was justifying why the grapes were sour), this was action time. I geared up for the most forceful of all the telephonic conversations that I would make and dialed at the number. The voice to my expectations proved to be very familiar and the person at the other end seemed to be very unsure about what to say at my fierce line of questioning “Ke bolchen?... ektu agey ekhan thekey akta SMS esechey .. ke pathiyechey boltey parben?... apni ke bolchen? Kottheke bolchen? …”. The person on the other end, a girl, repeatedly insisted that she was the sister of the person who sent me the message “Ami or bon bolchi… o ele oke phone kortey bolbo” …. But I knew better. Almost when the person at the other end started to become non-responsive that my more humane qualities stirred and I thankfully let go of the conversation, disconnecting with mock rage. I was sure of the identification of the so called fictitious sister; it was Ackc at her deceptive best. I called up one of my very close friends who happened to know Ackc personally. I asked him point blank “Tui amar number diyechish?..”. His repeated denials made me even surer that the person in question was Ackc.

I was not convinced. Having let her go that easily was a mistake… I should have made her sorry for finding out my number all over again… I shuddered at the prospect of having to attain her phone calls at the most odd hours all over again and decided to move in for the kill. I would make her so sorry that she would not call up anymore so I set about to write a clear and damning SMS which read like “I had d fortune of getting u out of my life gracefully and u seemed 2 have acknowledged it. Why then this SMS? I hate opportunists like u”. When the delivery report confirmed that the fat boy has been delivered… I set about in a mental muse and had a good feeling about the affair. I was confirmed that the SMS would seal everything and when reply was not coming I assumed the effect was perfect.

All my euphoria had been enjoyed when the call came. I had this habit of clearing up the phonebook every now and then and I had cleared up Sanjay’s number. He was my PL from the previous organization. The voice at once commanded my respect and I was quick to offer it. But something seemed to have put steel into Sanjay (we were on first name terms) and I realized what! I literally felt like hiding somewhere. It was really tough to explain the Phone call or even the SMS. My god! I have spoken the truth but it was not meant to be heard by Sanjay anyway… but what to do now? The pun of the situation has also made the SMS more worthy of belief. I remembered Sanjay had a sister. But what I could not understand was how come his mobile phone is picked up by his sister and where was he? I managed my best… better than what I did in front of Prof. Curie (or Koory) at the BITM (All’s well that ends well). Finally when I could explain to him what happened we had a good laugh… I could have given an arm to make him believe the truth… Luckily he had settled only for my word.

5 comments:

Oirpus said...

The point was well driven home... thanks for your small shared musing and thanks for the bijoya greetings.... :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Oirpus

Great to see that you have really found your genre of writing. Loved the one you posted and will be waiting for more. Meanwhile, a wrong connection as in your case might also show some more implications. Like for example, although the protagonist in your write up is seems to be trying too hard to get out of the way of the girl mentioned. I must say that love and hate are opposite sides of the same coin. So I guess you protagonist actually loves the girl but not her habbits..:-)
Indranil - 142727

Oirpus said...

How very true Indranil... How very true. As for the girl goes she is indeed someone to be never forgotten... and as for karu's sympathy goes he is also justified. After all if the only heart I have goes into so many pieces that I guess will lead to the trouble of assembling them in order the next time someone decides to show it kindness. As for as leeches are concerned, I guess, It only cuts as deep as you would let it cut(cut bleeds and leeches mop it up :-))... Its all a matter of choice and wrong choices can be paid with dearly. What says Karu?

indranil said...

I am in awe of both Oirpus and karu in the way they both seem to understand Human Nature so well. Software Coolies is what we are being called upon by the Developed nations. But then I guess only a person who have stooped down low enough to carry someone else's burden can be the only one who can understand the motive behind that burden. May that coolie within us is the one who is actually watching the myriads of emotions all around and keeping a note in this blog. Great Job Done you two!!

Oirpus said...

Karu,
As I understand from the context that burning the bridges behind me will get me nowhere but regrets... but you will also have to put something behind you in order to get on with your life... it's best categorized as right or wrong, black or white, or any colour you like for the matter. Fuzzy states will only hurt. As the lines from a personal favourite of mine:

"Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun..."