Monday, October 17, 2005

Forthcoming Attraction - 3

(Continued from Forthcoming Attraction - 2 post)
The IC-771 Boeing took off on time around 11 am. A forty five minutes flight gets over even before one can understand that he is flying. As I already had a heavy breakfast, I declined the shitty lunch that was served and asked for a cola instead. As usual that was not on menu. So I have to get my self satisfied with two fruit juices. Taking a look around I did not find any interesting character with whom I can strike up a chat and hence concentrated on the in flight magazine. The day was great with the sub accentuating the azure of the sky, when suddenly I saw Neepa. Her face was contoured with the most ephemeral smile I have ever seen. In fact, I thought that smile even surpassed that of Mona Lisa by the Master. She was telling something to me and I just cannot hear it above the sound of the jet engine. Speak a bit louder!! I shouted, and suddenly she seemed to be disintegrating in a fog and the edge of the known red and white sari of an airhostess came in my view. Are you ok Sir? She was asking in a troubled voice. I was feeling a bit groggy. What a dream!! I thought and nodded to her to show that I am ok. I looked at my watch and saw that it’s almost touch down time. The no-smoking sign came over my head as if to support my predicament. But even when I was fastening my seat belt my mind was in a total turmoil. Now why did I see Neepa? Was it the acidity caused by the fruit juices? Was I getting a bit jerky from the reaction that I get from Neepa the last night? I am not at all a superstitious person and not that I have not flirted with girls in the league of Neepa. While coming out of the Bagdogra Terminal and catching a cab to Hotel Mountain View on the Sevoke Road, I literally tried and usurped all thoughts of Neepa from my mind. Reaching the hotel I was given a very warm welcome as I was one of their vaunted customers. After getting refreshed I started calling up the distributors of my products in the vicinity. All of them answered my calls in a cheerful manner. When asked about what is the cause of diminishing sales I came to know that one of my competitor products is offering a BOGOF policy for the time being. And that is why our product is getting almost pushed of the display shelf space. I listed down almost all their tale of woes and invited them to have lunch with me next day in the Hotel Banquet hall. Thinking about discussing the undercutting policy with my superior in Kolkata, I absent mindedly dialed a number. Hello! The voice of the lady answering from the other end actually sent a chill down my spine. It was Neepa at the other end. I have myself dialed her number. I was holding the receiver in my thunder struck hands when suddenly after getting no reply from my end Neepa said, Listen!! Whoever you are please know that I have a CLI installed on my telephone. So please be at peace and let me be at it as well. I found my vision suddenly blur, thinking that these were the very lines that I have passed on to her as a tip, coming to know about her complain about crank calls at the most un-earthly hours. My mind was in a tizzy. Neepa is still using my tactics and does it mean that she still remembers me? The flirt within me started sending me warnings. I sat on the bed mulling on the recent incidents that has turned my world upside down. Am I in Love? The flirt inside my mind shouted an emphatic YES and cursed me for bringing his downfall. I asked my heart and could not find an answer. I have lost it. Abhi, the darling of all girls has lost his heart. I looked at my watch and it was showing 5 PM. I have to call my boss and discuss the day’s proceedings. I mustered all the strength both mental and physical as much as I can and picked up my organizer. After taking out boss’s number I pushed the speaker button .After listening to the dial tone I started punching the numbers, this time with more care than I have ever done. After talking with the boss and framing a strategy for the next day’s retailer/distributor meet, when I disconnected I found that I have almost drained all my energy. Feeling a bit week I summoned dinner in the room. After dining I pushed off to bed after popping a half tablet of slipping pill. (To be Continued..)

1 comment:

Oirpus said...

Hmmm.... I see a comment has been removed.