Thursday, October 06, 2005

Forthcoming Attraction - 1

Neepa was looking at me with disbelief. What have I done to deserve this? She must be thinking. But then I have nothing to do. She was crying and I cannot resist the urge to put my hand on her head. I was feeling bad but then I know that I cannot even console her, as I am the one responsible for her sorry state of affairs.
Anyone who chances upon a look at Neepa, will surely go for a second helping. No doubt was there about that. In fact, some of my friends were in fact becoming foes incorporated once they see me with such a dish. Our love story would have gone on to become a hit unless I suffered about this restless bout of flirting that I have honed my skills on from the very childhood.
Ladies and Gentlemen!! I am Abhi, the only son of my parents. Its not that I belong to a royal family but then my parents were dual earners who have made sure I was always provided, although the basic needs. But then I have no problems from childhood. I did well in studies as well currently I am working for one of the well known names in the world of the FMCG. All well happened with me from childhood till now and there was not even a single glitch. But then as they say things are never as they are seen, until they are put in the light of sanity of the observer. All was well with me, till I received my first love letter at the age of 12 in standard VI from a student of my class. She was not pretty in that sense, but she was indeed more advanced than of the likes of her. Till then I was actually totally unaware about the girlish stuff, as being in a co-ed school I was blissfully unaware of the difference between the two most important species on earth – a human boy and a girl. I could not remember the name of my first admirer but I do remember the love letter. It went something like this…
My Prince Charming,
Am I so bad looking that you never even look at me twice? I want you to be my friend first and then EVERYTHING later. I LOVE YOU… 143…ILU. I saw you with that most idiot of a girl, TINA yesterday during the recess. Both of you were talking about something and were laughing a lot. (Here I must mention that I was actually laughing on the strange stammering ways of Mrs. D’Souza, our English teacher, which was always a famous way of entertainment in the break). So, Abhi, do you love me as well or you are already picked up by that useless TINA?????? Just let her know that I will kill her etc.
I still think that love mail was more of a kind of TINA is bad than I love you Abhi. Anyways that’s my thought now. But then I was actually had mixed feelings finding this piece of paper in my Geography note book. At the same time I was feeling ecstatic as well feeling a bit doubtful about the fact that someone can love me other than my parents and relatives. I remember to have seen me all over more than once that day. In fact I remember asking my mother about my looks. She was surprised and commented tongue-in-cheek, any son is always handsome to his mother like a Mother owl will always like to appreciate the looks of her owlets. Now I understand, that was my mother giving me a very diplomatic and two-faced answer.
I do not about my 12 year physique but now that I am 27 I can see my self as a real tall (above 6 feet), dark and handsome creature. Keeping a date with my swimming activities has kept my body toned as well. Add to that my ready wit irrespective of the situation I am – A deadly cause of worry for all the girl’s fathers, brothers, boy friend’s et al. Al though I never spoke to my first admirer much, and never replied to her letters as well, I can rarely hide the feeling of elation that I received from that girl’s loving looks. (To be Continued..)

7 comments:

indranil said...

Hi Karu

Believe me!! A student of even 4th standard can pick up that kind of stuff with as much ease which we can never even think when we were of that age. Things are really changing. I know this as my mom is a teacher of a girl's school and I have my self seen the letters a student of class seven can write.

indranil said...

Hahaha... I liked your maths. But I guess the trend is almost the same. May be if it was today, the girl would have dedicated a mushy song on FM or would have sent a heart shapped email!!!...:-)). But anyways save all your comments for the next parts as well. Lotsa thanks for the impartial criticism.

sugato said...

Indranil, how does one send a heart shaped e-mail? Teach us...

By the way had a good laugh over some mistakenly placed apostrophes ...A deadly cause of worry for all the girl’s fathers.... LOL... or was it intended?

robinsc said...

From the style police , there is a lot of mixing of the tenses in this letter , So if one were to want to publish it for real somewhere perhaps it would be necessary to correct that ? what are your views ? In a book if a character is supposed to be an uneducated fellow should he speak broken and mispelled dialogue or would that just be grating on the reader ? What are your views.

indranil said...

Robin Da

I surely agree with your point of view. But then I am currently trying to experiment with the idea of moving the story plot back and forth in time - the same way we mix past esperience with present commentary. This is more of an every man's approach. The letter for example is a recollection rather than a naration. And I guess during naration people do tend to become less gramatical and more colloquial. What Say? And thanks for the comments. Do keep em coming in...:-)

Ananyaz said...

Part 2 was amusing...good goin Indranil...wonder what the climax'll be like !!

Ananyaz said...

Part 2 was amusing...good goin Indranil...wonder what the climax'll be like !!