Sunday, October 23, 2005

Forthcoming Attraction – 4

(Continued from Forthcoming Attraction – 3)
I became wide-awake with the sound of my alarm clock ringing in my ears. It was a costly one that I have bought last year from Singapore. Along with this Casio electronic timepiece I also got a free gift of a small heart shaped picture album that I have given away to Neepa. Ooops!! Neepa again. I was up on my feet in a flash. It was 9 AM in the morning and I have to visit some of the distribution centers of my distributors as well as look in to the preparation for my luncheon meet with the retailers at 11. I called up the reception and confirmed the rented car that they were supposed to provide me for my trip as well as ordered my breakfast at room. After lighting a cigarette I went around doing my usual morning chores – 15 minutes of free hand exercise, a healthy shower and then checking of my mails on my Laptop.
It was while checking my mails I got this funny notion about what Neepa will be doing with the photo album. Will she keep it? Women are noted to be very frugal and kind of gatherers or collectors in their own right. Always trust a women to keep every piece of wanted or unwanted matter just in case they may be needing at some distant future. The biggest example can be my Mom. She actually has our attic filled with such things. And given my nature of losing and wasting things, she did act as a savior lots a times by keeping back something, which I might have thrown out at some time and repented later. Hey!! What I am thinking? I am equating Neepa with my Mom. What does that mean? Am I becoming dependent on Neepa’s existence as much I am on my Mom’s? Oh My God!!
With a hazy mind I went over my scheduled itinerary with precision. While I was visiting the last of the distributors in Binaguri I found him a bit down. Praveen Seth!! What’s up? I asked jocularly. Dear Abhi, I am right now in a mess!! Your bhabi have again delayed her home coming from her father’s house by a week. Now that I know how to cook I think she is taking undue advantage!! I guess.. Praveen was fuming!! I laughed and asked him to keep a cooking help till his wife come back. Abhi!! Do you think I am worried about cooking? Will any one want his newly wedded wife to be away for a long time? I actually know her problem behind her staying late. But when I go back home and find no one waiting to hear my exploits, message my ego, quarrel and share my bed, it is then I become restless. So Abhi!! When are you getting married? I was too stunned to reply and started feeling a hollowness growing within me very fast.
After the luncheon meeting was over, I was sitting alone in my room. The smoke from the lit cigarette was twirling its way towards the AC duct. I was feeling week and a bit feverish. I know not why my mind was getting a bit numb. Numb to all feelings. My flight was next day in the morning as I planned to visit a big potential at night. I just did not feel like I can do it. I summoned all my courage but the only thing I was doing was to look at Neepa’s home phone number on my cell and have countless sighs. Somehow I know that I have lost the touch of being a successful flirt.
How I got hold of a train ticket in Darjeeling Mail that day and came back home with high fever, it’s a long story. Our home physician pronounced total rest for me as he rightly conjectured that I am stressed out although the reason of meeting my numbers was downright wrong. Why did not I ask for a self-picture from Neepa? Although I am served rightly by losing actually the girl that I never understood that I loved so dearly, I wanted to at least see Neepa once even if it was her picture.
This was almost a week went by. I have joined work. My body has already recovered but I knew that my mind will be scared for life. I was getting ready for office when suddenly I found my cell ringing. Without even looking at the CLI, I picked and greeted hello. The voice on the other side took my breath away. It was Neepa. Abhi I need to meet you one last time to give you back something. My heart was almost in my mouth and still jumping. WHERE and WHEN? I stammered. Please come near Auto Hitek Maruti Showroom in Southern Avenue at around 11 AM. And she clicked off.
It was around 11 when I saw her coming gorgeously dressed in a blue chiffon sari. Something in her that just took my breath away. I am going to my maternal uncle’s house (that I can make out from her hand luggage, that she was going some where). Abhi please take this back. It was the same heart shaped picture album with my and Neepa’s picture already in. Both of us looked just like a newly and happily married couple. With no more words Neepa turned back and was going away. This was when I got my voice and myself back after a long time. Neepa hold on!! She stopped and turned. Do you know what is a forthcoming attraction? She was just looking at me. This is an attraction that no one has ever seen before but knows for sure that it’s forthcoming in one’s life. Till now I always thought that each and every girl in my life was just a phase and I waited for a forthcoming attractive girl all through. But you know I continued I have found the ultimate attraction in my life in the last few days and that is you. Neepa will you make this photo album a permanent fixture in my life?? She was looking at me. I think it was after ages she came near me. I can smell her Dolce again. I was actually yearning for it. How can I be sure that there are no more such forthcoming attractions left in your life. With a sparkle in my eyes I said. Neepa, there is another forthcoming attraction in my life if you give your consent to marry me. With this I got a bit down and whispered in her ears the type of attraction that I am looking forward to.
You Moron!! She was red with anticipation and gave me a hug. In the meanwhile I saw the same two police officers looking at us from a distance. With a approving nod they started looking the other way. (END)

2 comments:

Oirpus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Oirpus said...

Hmmm.. wonder what sort of forthcoming attraction can make someone go red... Honeymoon at the Hawaii perhaps???

Very enjoyable story keep them coming...